Saturday 13 October 2018

It Was Lovely Reading You: September 2018


It has been a few months since I last wrote an entry for the It Was Lovely Reading You series (I've only ever written one, really) but I'm back with another one, albeit a little late. Before I proceed with the book reviews of the books I read in September, I'd first like to give you a rundown and update on my progress with my 2018 reading goals: I have read 22 out of the 25 books that I aim to complete this year, finished 4 out of the 6 books in the Mortal Instruments series, and 4 out of the 5 books in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. Overall, I'd say I'm making good progress if not for the fact that I have yet to start on the Harry Potter series (yikes). I ought to work on that soon, but here are the books I read in the month of September.


Love & Gelato

by Jenna Evans Welch

    
Genre: Contemporary (Young Adult)
What you need to know about the book:
To fulfil her mother's dying wish, Lina is spending the summer in Tuscany. She wants nothing more than to go home until she is given a journal that her mother had kept while she was living in Italy. Suddenly Lina finds herself getting swept into the Italian world of art, romance and secret bakeries, and discovering much more than what she had bargained for. 
What I thought about the book:
The only reason I decided to pick this book up was because I heard that it's set in Florence, Italy (which I visited this June), but boy oh boy was it a pleasant surprise. This is a romantic and mysterious story featuring Lina, an American girl who was sent to Italy to stay with her father after her mother succumbed to cancer. The plot was intriguing and I loved the twists and turns that it took. The description of the city was vivid and gorgeous and made me want to visit Florence again. What I also loved was the relationship between the characters and the city. You can tell just how much love and effort was put into writing this book. Love & Gelato was a fun read, and I took a liking to the main characters. It's definitely not the most impressive book, but it makes for a delightful summer read. Also, I think it would be best for you not to know too much about the book before going into it.
Rating: 4/5 stars


Legendary (Caraval #2)

by Stephanie Garber 


Genre: Fantasy (Young Adult)
What you need to know about the book:
This is the second book in the Caraval series. In order not to spoil the previous book for you, here's the synopsis for Caraval instead. 
What I thought about the book:
To put it simply, this book was both wonderful and torturous. Unlike the first book, this book follows the perspective of Tella. I wasn't sure how I felt about that initially because I wanted to see where Scarlett and Julian's romance would go in this book, but I quickly fell in love with Tella's spirited and complex character. There's a lot more to her history and past that we didn't get from Scarlett's perspective. Of course, I still really loved the returning characters. We got to see a lot more of Dante in this book (swoon) and were introduced to a new cast of charactersone of whom is a big part of this book. Legendary also takes place in a new setting, one that I must say I did like a little less than the one in Caraval, but it served its purpose well in the book. Like the first book, Legendary was captivating and delightful. I highly doubt that Stephanie Garber will ever cease to amaze me with this enthralling and imaginative world that she has created. Like Love & Gelato, this is a book you have to go into without knowing too much. Have no expectations. Just enjoy the places this book takes you to and get lost with Tella.
Rating: 5/5 stars


The Battle of Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #4)

by Rick Riordan

Genre: Fantasy/Greek Mythology (Middle-Grade)
What you need to know about the book:
This is the fourth book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. In order not to spoil the previous books for you, here's the synopsis for The Lightning Thief instead. 
What I thought about the book:
In case you weren't aware, I am a first-time reader of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, but I think it's safe to say that I have grown quite attached to it. I am so in love with this series and all of the characters in it. My excitement and love for this series has grown with each book, and I attribute that to my love for the characters and the way Rick Riordan has slowly built up the stakes with each story. Like the previous books in the series, this book was thrilling, action-packed and SO adorable. I adore the main character Percy. He's so sassy and funny and precious (PROTECT MY SON AT ALL COSTS). It would be hard not to love him. The dynamic Percy has with his group of friends also gets better with each book. Each of them have grown tremendously on me. I love these books endlessly and regret that I didn't pick them up sooner. I would recommend this series without a doubt. I'm looking forward to seeing how the last book is going to turn out!
Rating: 4/5 stars


To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before #1)

by Jenny Han

        
Genre: Contemporary (Young Adult)
What you need to know about the book:
Lara Jean has never confessed her feelings to any of her crushes. Instead, she writes them letters, seals them, and hides them in a hatbox that was given to her by her late mother. One day, she discovers that all of her letters had been mysteriously mailed out, causing her crushes to confront her about the letters and turning her world upside down. 
What I thought about the book:
After several years of staying on my "to be read" list, this book finally made its way into my "read" list (mostly because I wanted to read it before watching the movie). To All the Boys I've Loved Before was as cute and quirky as its protagonist. At first glance, this book may seem like a fluffy contemporary novel (which, don't get me wrong, it is), but it covers quite a few "serious" topics, including self-discovery and familial bonds. Something I personally enjoyed about this book is that Lara Jean and her sisters are half-Korean. I don't think we see enough of Asian representation (and diversity in general) in YA novels so thank you, Jenny Han for that. I liked all of the characters enough despite their individual flaws, with the exception of the antagonist, Genevieve. I was bothered by how little substance and motive she had other than to be mean. It would have been nice to have a more well-rounded antagonist. Although this book does not come without its flaws, it was still a lovely read. 
Rating: 4/5 stars


A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses #3.1)

by Jenny Han

        
Genre: Fantasy (New Adult)
What you need to know about the book:
This is a novella in the A Court of Thorns and Roses series. In order not to spoil the previous books for you, here's the synopsis for A Court of Thorns and Roses instead. 
What I thought about the book:
I enjoyed the A Court of Thorns and Roses series despite all of its flaws because it gave me one of the best reading experiences I've had thus far and is one of the major reasons I got back into reading. I wanted to love this book, I really did, but this book was so boring and utterly unnecessary. I appreciate that Sarah was trying to offer us a novella to show us the rebuilding and healing of the various courts after the war but this book had absolutely no plot or action. You know what this book felt like? It felt like fanfiction. That's right, fanfiction. Winter Solstice, you say? I'm sorry, but this felt like someone on Wattpad wanted a Christmas fanfiction scene of all the ACOTAR characters and decided to write it out. Majority of this book was of the characters shopping for presents for each other and Feyre and Rhys expressing their desire for each other. If either of them calls the other their mate one more time, I WILL RETCH. Seriously, I loved Rhys in the previous books, but even he has to have a limit. I'd still read the next book, but I'm so disappointed that this novella turned out the way it did and that I did not like it.
Rating: 2/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment